Strategize your Performance Review
🎄🎄🎄Yes, it is that time of the year again! Performance reviews are a bit like Christmas, they come back every year, aren't they?!
Sharing below a few tips to make this important moment a conversation to look forward to, rather than a yearly/bi-yearly/quarterly obligation:
· 🎯 Make the discussion a 𝐫𝐞𝐠𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐫 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧. Instead of focusing on a 1-hour (or more) conversation once a year, fraction it in 30 mns discussions once a quarter. More updates, more feedback, more follow-ups make the conversation more impactful. 🎯
· 🔭 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐳𝐞 what you want to say in advance, how you will share your achievements (and your misses, because it also happens!), your progresses, and how this is supporting your and your company’s growth. 🔭
· 📆 More regularity will also ensure this is 𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐜𝐮𝐬𝐞𝐝 on a couple of points rather than having to cover 12 months of work in a, sometimes stressful and packed, discussion. 📆
· 🎬 𝐀𝐬𝐤 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤, it is the best way to know where you stand, what you do so well (and can do more of) and what you can improve (so it does not limit your impact). Discuss and agree next steps to action on the feedback. 🎬
· 🤩 𝐀𝐬𝐤 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 (and no, it is not always about money!). What is it that will keep you interested and engaged? Ask for it! Find something that will stretch you and where you will learn something new. Never get bored, hone your skills! 🤩
· 📈 𝐊𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐚 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬, with the help of a development plan, it is much easier to progress when you can keep track and measure (also as you might change manager or role in between). 📈
So don’t be shy, this is YOUR performance review, YOUR career! Reach out if you would like to strategize your performance review to really enjoy it and use it to support your growth.
And yes, this is that time of the year! 🎄🎄🎄